The suppressed preface and biographical note would appear from the title page to have been intended to accompany volume 2 of the work. However, this would seem to have been as a result of an error in the setting-up of the title page, which ought to have shown
"Vol. I". This suggestion is confirmed by the volume note printed to accompany each signature. This would also conform to the logical position of such matter in a publication, and indeed, the position of the related material in the published work.
Although fully set-up and printed this version of the introductory matter, with the exception of the parts indicated in the arrangement listed below, was not used in the published edition. The manuscript note that accompanies the pages suggests that the suppression of this version was undertaken by Croker, the editor of the work.
(1) Manuscript note, a later addition, explaining the contents of the pages;
(2) introductory pages to volume "II", fully cut :
preface and biographical sketch;
"Character of the Honourable Mrs. Howard, (afterwards Countess of Suffolk)", by Jonathan Swift. Included in volume 1 of the
published work, pages xxxvii-xliv;
"To a certain Lady at court", a poem by Alexander Pope. Included in volume 1 of the published work, page xlv;
"Song", by the Earl of Perterborough. Included in volume 1 of the published work, pages xlvi-xlvii;
(3) another set of (2), with partially cut pages;
(4) another set of (2), with uncut pages;
(5) another copy of the suppressed introductory matter to volume "II", with slight variation in the set-up.