Italian or, more correctly, Tuscan version of the commentary on the 1745 Rebellion entitled ‘Caroli Odoardi Stuardii Walliae Principis Expeditio in Scotiam’ written in four books by Giulio Cesare Cordara, Society of Jesus. Edit

Summary

Identifier
Adv.MS.22.4.18

Dates

  • 1751. (Creation)

Extents

  • 0.00 linear metres (Whole)
    302 folios. Quarto.

Subjects

Notes

  • Language of Materials

    Italian

  • Scope and Contents

    According to the title page (folio 2) this version was made "by the ex-Jesuit NN", but the dedicatory espistle to Francesco Caetani, Duke of Sermoneta, which is dated 1804, is signed presumably by the translator (folio 7) whose name cannot be read with certainty. It is suggested by Sir Bruce Gordon Seton, 9th Baronet, of Abercorn, who published an English translation from this manuscript by Lacy Colleson-Morley for the Scottish History Society in ‘Miscellany of the Scottish History Society’, volume iv, pages 1-174, that the signature may be Vicenzo Ingo; but it remains a matter of conjecture.

  • Related Materials

    For a copy in typescript carbon of Collison-Morley` s translation, see MS.283.

  • Bibliography

    ‘Miscellany of the Scottish History Society’, volume iv (Edinburgh, 1926).

    An Italian translation under the title ‘La Spedizione di Carlo Odoardo Stuart negli Anni 1743-44-45-46’ was published at Milan in 1845 by Antonio Gussalli, who published Cordara`s text as well in the third edition of his translation in 1861.

    A different English translation of folios 216 verso-225 verso was published as Appendix C in ‘Short account of the affairs of Scotland in the years 1744, 1745 and 1746’ by David Wemyss, Lord Elcho (Edinburgh, 1907), pages 453-458.

  • Immediate Source of Acquisition

    Presented, 1925, by the Faculty of Advocates to the nation on the foundation of the National Library of Scotland.

  • Custodial History

    The manuscript, which was bought by Sir Bruce Gordon Seton, 9th Baronet, of Abercorn in 1922, and presented to the Advocates’ Library by him in 1924, contains no indications of its former whereabouts except what appears to be a presentation note (folio 1), dated Rome 1865, of Henry Headley Parish to an unstated recipient.

Components