`History of the Subscriptions for the Erecting of the Monument to the Memory of Sir Walter Scott at Edinburgh compiled from the Minute Books and Vouchers of the original and Auxiliary Committees by John Castle, secretary to the Joint Committee. 1852`. Edit




  • 1832-1853. (Creation)


  • 0.00 linear metres (Whole)
    xiv folios + 521 pages (several blank). Folio.



  • Scope and Contents

    At the beginning of the volume is inserted a letter of James Ballantine, glass painter and song writer to the Dean of the Faculty of Advocates, 1865, giving an extract of John Castle`s will 1864, bequeathing the manuscript to the Advocates` Library. At the back of the volume are recorded financial statements concerning the monument. The rest of the volume is comprised of copies of reports, minutes of meetings and correspondence, 1832-1853.

  • Immediate Source of Acquisition

    Presented, 1925, by the Faculty of Advocates to the nation on the foundation of the National Library of Scotland.

  • Custodial History

    The volume was bequeathed to the Advocates’ Library in 1865 by John Castle, Edinburgh.