`Chronicle of Perth`, 1210-1668, also known as Mercer`s Chronicle and Fleming`s Chronicle, with other documents relating to the burgh of Perth. Edit

Summary

Identifier
Adv.MS.35.4.4

Dates

  • ?1600-1688. (Creation)

Extents

  • 0.00 linear metres (Whole)
    22 folios + 5 inverted folios. Folio.

Subjects

Notes

  • Scope and Contents

    The `Chronicle` was compiled probably between 1600 and 1668 by more than one person. Though attributed to John Mercer, town clerk of Perth, only the latter part appears to be his work. From 1660 it is almost entirely a register of burials.

    Other items in the volume are a fragment of a legal memorial, circa 1597, concerning the foundation of the King James VI Hospital in Perth (folio 1), and a group of letters concerning Royal Burgh affairs (1614-1628), all copies (folio 20).

  • Related Materials

    Adv.MSS.13.1.1-13.1.7, 31.1.1-31.1.6.

  • Bibliography

    The manuscript was printed as ‘Chronicle of Perth; a register of remarkable occurences chiefly connected with that city from the year 1210-1668’ edited by J Maidment (Maitland Club, 1831).

  • Immediate Source of Acquisition

    Presented, 1925, by the Faculty of Advocates to the nation on the foundation of the National Library of Scotland.

  • Custodial History

    The volume belonged to the Reverend James Scott of Perth and was part of his manuscript collection (Adv.MSS.13.1.1-13.1.7, 31.1.1-31.1.6) purchased by the Advocates Library in 1818.

Components