Correspondence and papers of the family of Fleming of Cumbernauld and Biggar, Lords Fleming, and Earls of Wigtown. Edit

Summary

Identifier
MSS.20770-20800

Dates

  • 1440-1960. (Creation)

Extents

  • 39 Volumes (Whole)

Subjects

Notes

  • Conditions Governing Access

    Normal access conditions apply.

  • Conditions Governing Use

    Normal reproduction conditions apply, subject to any copyright restrictions.

  • Scope and Contents

    The family estates of Cumbernauld and Lenzie in East Dunbartonshire extended into the neighbouring parishes of Monkland in Lanarkshire and Dunipace in Stirlingshire. That of Biggar in Lanarkshire included also some lands in Peeblesshire, where the Flemings were in conflict with the Tweedies of Drumelzier. Members of the family were prominent in public affairs in the 16th and 17th centuries, but the later Earls took little part in them. The male line failed in 1747, and the estates passed to Clementina, wife of Charles, 10th Lord Elphinstone.

  • Separated Materials

    For charters and formal documents see Ch.15531-16730.

  • Arrangement

    The charters were listed in 1681 (see MS.20771), the correspondence and papers in 1960 (see MS.20770).

    The order of these lists has been retained as far as possible. The main exception is that related bundles of papers have been brought together.

  • Immediate Source of Acquisition

    Presented, 1960, by Lord Cameron, Senator of the College of Justice.

  • Custodial History

    At some time, presumably when the estates were sold in the 1870s, the archive was split up. In 1932 a considerable proportion of the charters were deposited in the Scottish Record Office, and in 1960 more charters and the correspondence and papers were presented to the National Library of Scotland. In 1985 these parts were reunited; more charters at least were formerly in existence.

Components