The charters of the Minto family include titles to all the lands owned by the family in Roxburghshire, Fife, and Angus. The Roxburghshire titles include a few from the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries but they and the Angus titles are not numerous until the seventeenth century. The earliest Fife titles however go back to the twelfth century, and the series is virtually complete from then until modern times.
The lands of Headshaw were acquired by Sir Gilbert Elliot, 1st Baronet, in 1696. In 1703 he added Minto to his property, and the rest of the estates came into the family`s possession in the course of the next century. The lands of Lochgelly and Melgund came to the family in 1746, through the marriage of Sir Gilbert Elliot, 3rd Baronet, to Agnes Murray Kynynmound, the representative of both the Murrays of Melgund and the Kinninmonds of that Ilk. The latter family had been extensive landowners in Fife from the Middle Ages, but their holdings had been reduced to the lands of Lochgelly, the western portion of the old barony of Kinninmonth.
The charters also include a considerable range of financial papers, connected with debts incurred by the Kinninmond family, as well as a number of personal documents, including material relating to the Meade family, ancestors of William Elliot of Wells, and a large number of illuminated addresses presented to the 4th Earl of Minto and his wife.