Legal papers concerning Aberlady estate., 1612-1710.
Scope and Contents
The estate of Aberlady (including Butterdean in Oldhamstocks) in East Lothian belonged to Douglas of Kilspindie and to Hay of Aberlady. It was purchased in 1668 by Sir Andrew Fletcher, younger brother of Sir Robert of Saltoun. He died in 1675 and was succeeded by his sons Archibald (died 1685) and John (died 1687) and the latter's son Andrew; among their tutors and curators were Andrew and Henry Fletcher of Saltoun. Andrew died in 1710 and the estate came, in terms of a mutual entail, to Saltoun. It was managed successively by Henry, his younger son Robert, and Lord Milton, who sold it in 1732 to the Earl of Portmore (see MSS.17717-17722) but continued to run it himself.
- Creation: 1612-1710.
Conditions Governing Access
Normal access conditions apply.
Conditions Governing Use
Normal reproduction conditions apply, subject to any copyright restrictions.
Language of Materials
From the Series: Undetermined
Part of the National Library of Scotland Archives and Manuscripts Division Repository