Extracts made in 1556 from chartularies of the Archbishopric of Glasgow, covering the 12th to the 16th centuries; followed by a short history of the Hamilton family in Scots entitled 'Frier Mark Hamiltonis historie'. Edit

Summary

Identifier
Adv.MS.34.4.5

Dates

  • 1556 (Creation)

Extents

  • 1 Volumes (Whole)

Agent Links

Subjects

Notes

  • Conditions Governing Access

    Normal access conditions apply.

  • Conditions Governing Use

    Normal reproduction conditions apply, subject to any copyright restrictions.

  • Scope and Contents

    Manuscript of transcripts of the chartularies and original charters of the Archbishopric of Glasgow which were deposited in the Scots College in Paris. The material in the manuscript covers the 12th to the 16th centuries.

    The work is written in one hand and contains frequent additions, erasures, and corrections. The additions to the work, both in the margins and interlineal, are partly in Latin and partly in Scots.

    As well as charters, the volume contains extracts of obits and of a visitation of the Cathedral, which are not to be found elsewhere.

    The contents of the manuscript are as follows:

    A later inscription, 'Excerpta ex duobus registris Glasguensis Ecclesiae. Anno 1556...' Followed by a list of contents. Folio ir.

    Folios i verso - vii verso are blank.

    The recto side of folio viii bears an ownership inscription and shelfmarks.

    Folio 1r is blank.

    Extracts from the two Registers of Glasgow. Commencing in the reign of David I, including some statutes of John, Bishop of Glasgow 1432. Contains a note of the erection and dedication of the Cathedral of Glasgow 1197 and of its erection into an Archbishopric 1491. Folios 2r-18v.

    'Instrumentum Cassatimis cuiusdam statuti editi per magistrum Jacobum Lyndsay Decanum, per Robertum Episcop. Glasguensem [...] consensu capituli'. Folios 19r-19v.

    'Visitatio Capituli Glasguensis facta decimo septimo mensis februarii Anno Domini millesimo quinquagesimo primo'. With annotations in a later hand. Folios 19v-20r.

    'Carta exscripta ex minore libro pergameno veteri regestorum capituli Glasguensis'. Folios 20r-23r.

    'Augmentatis Salariorum vicariorum Chori Glasguensis', 1480. Folio 23r.

    Obituaries, 'Exscripta ex martyrologio metropolis Glasguen[sis]', followed by the signature of A. Baillie. Folios 23v-24v.

    'Freir Mark Hammiltonis Historie'. Short history of the Hamilton family in Scots. Folios 25r-28v.

    Folios 29 and ix-xvi, are blank.

    An early pagination, possibly of the 17th century, runs in the centre of the top margin in Arabic numerals.

    Decoration consists of plain pen-flourished initials and occasional underlining and rubrication in red. Many of the charters have been given a numeration in pencil by a later hand.

  • Physical Description

    Paper.

    The binding is of 18th-century brown leather. The front and back boards have gold-tooled borders. The three edges of the boards are also tooled in gold. The spine has raised bands and extensive gold tooling.

    The modern Roman-numerated paper flyleaves bear watermarks of a 'Pro Patria' Britannia design alternated with the initial 'GR' and a crown.

    The watermark of the paper of the manuscript itself is possibily of a pot, most visible on folio 8.

  • Arrangement

    i-viii + 29 + ix-xvi folios.

  • Custodial History

    According to an inscription on folio 2r the manuscript was in the possession of Dr James Bailly of Carnbrue in the 17th century. The inscription reads: 'These extracts of the Chartularies of Glasgow belonged to Dr Ja[mes] Bailly of Carnbrue, being preserved from the fire and fury of soldiers and rabblers annis 1645, 1650, 1666, 1679 and the grand Climaterick of Sacred Antiquities anno 1688, after a loan of 13 years recovered 17 August 1713. A Baillie.' The signature at the end is of Alexander Baillie of Castlecarie, which is repeated on folio 24v. The James Baillie mentioned in the inscription could possibily be James Baillie, M.A., who was presented to Wandel and Lamington in 1684 and went to Ireland in 1689.

    According to Dalrymple's 'Collections', before coming into the possession of Alexander Baillie by 1713, the manuscript was previously owned by William Hamilton who allowed Dalrymple use of the manuscript.

    The manuscript was present in the Library of the Faculty of Advocates in 1726 as attested to by notes in Crawford's 'Lives and Characters'. Crawford also attests to Alexander Baillie's former ownership of the volume.

    There are ownership inscriptions for the Library on the recto side of folio viii, the verso side of folio 1, and in the gutter margin of the recto side of folio 2.

    The previous shelfmark assigned to the manuscript by the Library of the Faculty of Advocates is present on the recto side of folio viii and folio 1v, 'A.7.25', since superseded.

  • Bibliography

    Bertie, D. M. 'Scottish Episcopal Clergy 1689-2000' (Edinburgh, 2000), page 9.

    Borland, C. R. 'Catalogue of Mediaeval Manuscripts in the Library of the Faculty of Advocates at Edinburgh', 4 Volumes. (Unpublished manuscript, Edinburgh, 1906-1908). Volume II, folios 573-576. NLS Reference: FR.198a/2.

    Crawford, G. 'The Lives and Characters, of the Officers of the Crown, and of the State in Scotland' (Edinburgh, 1726), page 13, note c; page 432; page 475.

    Dalrymple, J. 'Collections concerning the Scottish history: preceeding the death of King David the first, in the year 1153. Wherein the soveraignity of the Crown and independency of the Church are cleared; ... With an appendix ...' (Edinburgh, 1705), pages 340-371.

    'Folio Catalogue of Manuscripts: Chartularies' (Unpublished manuscript, Edinburgh [18??]), folio 31. NLS Reference: FR.189.

    Innes, C. (ed.) 'Registrum Episcopatus Glasguensis Munimenta Ecclesie Metropolitane Glasguensis' 2 volumes, Bannatyne Club (Edinburgh, 1843).

    Pearce, M. W. 'A Legendary Family History for James Hamilton, earl of Arran and Regent of Scotland' (Online resource available through academia.edu).

    Ross, A. 'The Bannatyne Club and the Publication of Scottish Ecclesiastical Cartularies', 'Scottish Historical Review', Vol. 85, No. 220, Part 2 (October 2006), pages 202-230.

    Simpson, G. and B. Webster. 'The archives of the medieval Church of Glasgow', in 'The Bibliotheck: A Scottish Journal of Bibliography and Allied Topics', Volume 3, Number 6 (1962), pages 195-201.

    'Summary Catalogue of the Advocates' Manuscripts' (Edinburgh, 1971), page 16, number 170.

    Turnbull, W. B. D. D. 'Fragmenta Scoto-Monastica: Memoir of what has been already done, and what materials exist, towards the formation of a Scotish (sic) Monasticon.' (Edinburgh, 1842), pages 6-9.

  • Immediate Source of Acquisition

    Presented, 1925, by the Faculty of Advocates to the nation on the foundation of the National Library of Scotland.

  • Language of Materials

    The extracts are in Latin and the short history is in Scots.

  • Related Materials

    National Library of Scotland: Adv.MS.29.5.3.

    British Library: Harley MS 4631.

Components