A file, received bound, of fifty-one documents in Russian and relating to Russian politics, particularly in Moscow, 1915-1917. The papers were assembled by Sir Robert Hamilton Bruce Lockhart (1887-1970), then British Vice-Consul in Moscow, where he enjoyed a wide range of social and political contacts. This period of Bruce Lockhart's career is described in his 'Memoirs of a British Agent', (London, 1932), pages 97-191.
The documents are arrnaged as follows:
1. List of persons attending the meeting of delegates of the Guberniia zemstva, 9 December 1916.
2. All-Russian Zemstvo Union: meeting of delegates of the Gubernaiia zemstva in Moscow, 9 December 1916.
3. Another copy of 2.
4. All-Russian Zemstvo Union proceedings, 9 December 1916.
5. All-Russian Zemstvo Union: Appendix 1, agenda of meeting of delegates of the Gubernaiia zemstva, 9 December 1916.
6. All-Russian Zemstvo Union: Appendix 2, the list of those attending the meeting of delegates of the Gubernaiia zemstva, 9 December 1916.
7. Another copy of 4.
8. Another copy of 5.
9. Another copy of 6.
10. A copy of the speech of the Chief Delegate, Prince G E L'vov, to the Gubernaiia zemstvo of the Zemstvo Union.
11. Another copy of 10.
12. All-Russian Zemstvo Union: the resolution adopted by the Gubernaiia zemstva, 9 December 1916.
13. A request form for goods to be sent to prisoners of war addressed to Aid Department of the Zemstvo Union's Principal Committee, undated.
14. A document of the Zemstvo Union's Department of Aid to Prisoners of War, December 1915 – December 1916.
15. A memorandum setting out the opinion of Chief Procurator Volzhin on Court attitudes to Rasputin.
16. Conference on the reform of local government and self-government: review of the work of the Conference and its commissions, 26 March – 1 August 1917; pages 12-13 are bound out of order after page 1.
17. Progress report of the Extraordinary Conference of Members of the Moscow City Duma, called on 28 May 1915, in view of the extraordinary events on the streets of Moscow, 27-28 May.
18. Copy of a memorandum presented by Prince L'vov to Lord Milner, being part of the attempt of the Liberal opposition to enlist Allied support for political reforms; presented at the Inter-Allied Conference in Petrograd [early 1917] – see Bruce Lockhart, 'Memoirs of a British Agent', (London, 1932), page 164.
19. Review of the political activity of public organisations, 1 March – 16 April 1916: deals with the War Industry Committees and the All-Russian Zemstvo and Town Unions, and recommends that their activities be curbed.
20. Protest at the closure by police of the meeting of the Union of Towns set for 9-10 December 1916.
21. Document of the Congress of Representatives of Public Organisations, 11 December 1916.
22. Union of Towns, 9 December 1916: call for reform, and support for the Duma.
23. Resolutions of support for the Duma, passed at the meeting of delegates of the provincial Zemstva, 9 December 1916.
24. Draft of noumber 19, with manuscript corrections.
25. Satirical poem [?by Miatlev] attacking members of the imperial government: see Bruce Lockhart, 'Memoirs of a British Agent', (London, 1932), page 158.
26. An English translation of number 25.
27. Another copy of 25.
28. Another copy of 26.
29. 'To the Government of Great Britain': a presentation of the views of a number of unspecified revolutionary organisations, possibly written for the Inter-Allied Conference, Petrograd, 1917 [English text].
30. All Russian Zemstvo Union: meeting of delegates of the provincial zemstva, 9 December 1916 [a draft of number 23].
31. Copy of 30.
32. Principal Committee of the All-Russian Zemstvo Union: report of members of the Union, 15 November 1916.
33. Meeting of the Workers of "Zemgor", 1 December 1916: Protocol [of support for resolution passed at the All-Russian Zemstvo Union, 15 November 1916].
34. Another copy of 32.
35. Another copy of 31.
36. Another copy of 30.
37. Copy of speech by V.N. L'vov [to the representatives of the Societies of Nobles].
38. [A memorandum of the All-Russian Union of Towns, demanding the recall of the Duma.]
39. Resolution of the 4th Congress of Representatives of the All-Russian Union of Towns, 12-14 March, 1916.
40. [Memorandum: proposals of Moscow Town Duma for amelioration of the situation and for reform.]
41. Copy of a letter of M.M. Rodzianko to I.L. Goremykin [before 20 January 1916].
42. A manuscript letter of M Chelnokov, Mayor of Moscow to "Roman Romanovitch", i.e. Bruce Lockhart.
43. Copy of resolution of the Moscow Town Duma, 18 August 1915.
44. Resolution of the Moscow Town Duma, 18 August 1915: on headed official paper with illuminated motif of St George slaying the dragon.
45. State Duma. Meeting of 1 November 1916. Declaration of the Progressive Bloc.
46. Decision taken at the 12th Congress of the United Societies of Nobles at the meeting of 30 November 1916.
47. Copy of number 30.
47a. All-Russian Union of Towns. Decision taken at the meeting of members at the Congress of the All-Russian Union of Towns, 9 December 1916.
48. Decision taken by the Congress of Representatives of the Oblast' War Industry Committees, 14 December 1916.
49. Copy of 18.
49a. Draft of 49.
50. [Memorandum of the Novogorod Nobility on the Resolutions of the 12th Congress of United Societies of the Nobility]; 2 copies.
51. Report on the progress of elections for town Dumas, 4 August 1917.
52. Report on the announcement of elections for the Volost' Zemstva.