Volume on ecclesiastical antiquities, being the first part of a work in three volumes by Richard Augustine Hay on the ecclesiastical and secular antiquities of Scotland. Edit

Summary

Component Unique Identifier
Adv.MS.34.1.8
Level of Description
File

Dates

  • 1700-1707, or after. (Creation)

Extents

  • 0.00 linear metres (Whole)
    ix folios + 698 pages.

Subjects

Notes

  • Scope and Contents

    The volume, known and frequently cited as ‘Scotia Sacra’, contains an account of the introduction and spread of Christianity in Scotland (page 1), and brief historical descriptions of the various Scottish dioceses, as well as those of Carlisle (page 219) and Durham (page 339) down to the later 17th century (page 63). Each account is followed by a list of bishops and notes on the various monasteries and other religious houses located in the diocese, with notes on some of the abbots and other heads of houses. The work is followed by an index of places (page 695) and a note on mediaeval hospitals. Bound in at the end is a leaf from a collection of transcripts in Hay`s hand (folio vi), possibly from his collection of transcripts of charters (Adv.MSS.35.4.16-35.4.17).

  • Related Materials

    Many extracts were made from this volume for Walter Macfarlane of that ilk in his volumes of transcripts of cartularies and other mediaeval sources (see Adv.MSS.35.2.5, 35.3.2-35.3.9, 35.3.13).

  • Bibliography

    The contents of this volume are described in detail in ‘British Topography’ by Richard Gough (London, 1780), volume 2, pages 611-624.

    The following extracts have been printed:

    pages 187-190 in ‘Registrum Episcopatus Aberdonensis’, edited by Cosmo Innes (Maitland and Spalding Clubs, 1845), volume i, pages lxxxviii-xci;

    pages 213-218 in ‘Liber Conventus Sancte Katherine Senensis prope Edinburgum’, [edited by James Maidment] (Abbotsford Club, 1841), pages 65-73;

    pages 231-234 in ‘Miscellaneous papers principally illustrative of events in the reigns of Queen Mary and King James VI’, edited by Andrew Macgeorge (Maitland Club, 1834), pages 135-138;

    page 292 (part) in ‘Lay Administrators of Church Lands in the Fifteenth and Sixteenth Centuries’ by Peter J. Murray, in ‘Scottish Historical Review’, volume LXXIV, number 1 (April 1995), page 27.

    pages 511-512 (part) in ‘Registrum Monasterii S. Marie de Cambuskenneth A.D. 1147-1535’, edited by Sir William Fraser,

    (Grampian Club, 1872), pages ix-xi;

    pages 638-644 and 460-462 as `Account of the Templars` and `Account of the Joannites` in the last item in John Maidment`s anonymously edited ‘Templaria’, ([Edinburgh,] 1828);

    pages 675-676 in ‘Registrum Domus de Soltre (etc.)’, edited by David Laing (Edinburgh: Bannatyne Club, 1861), page vi.

Components