Papers of and concerning Sir Walter Scott. Edit


Component Unique Identifier
Level of Description


  • [?1622-?1844], undated. (Creation)


  • 171 Leaves (Whole)



  • Conditions Governing Access

    Normal access conditions apply.

  • Conditions Governing Use

    Normal reproduction conditions apply, subject to any copyright restrictions.

  • Arrangement

    ii + 169 folios.

  • Scope and Contents

    The contents are as follows.

    (i) Writings and notes of Sir Walter Scott, chiefly in his autograph. They include letters to James Bailey, 1812, 1817, 1825, with Bailey's annotations, 1837; fragments of the essay on Pepys published in the ‘Quarterly Review’ for March 1826; two drafts of an address from the Magistrates and Freeholders of Selkirkshire to the House of Commons (see the 'Journal', 7-10 March 1831); a draft letter on the political situation, undated; epitaphs on Colonel John Cameron of Fassifern, undated, Helen Walker, 1831, and the Earl of Hopetoun, 1831; three lines of the ‘Bridal of Triermain’ (in Scott’s hand); and an inquiry for ‘The Fortunes of Nigel’.

    (ii) Genealogical matter, including letters of Walter Scott, Writer to the Signet, on the Haliburtons, 1792, and notes by William Scott of Raeburn (died 1855) on his family.

    (iii) Letters conferring distinctions on Sir Walter Scott, etc., 1820-1826.

    (iv) Miscellaneous papers and fragments, including: memorandum of an agreement between Scott and Robert Laidlaw about Ashesteil Farm [1805]; a letter of Mr Hay to Scott, referring to some disagreeable incident; a letter regarding the affairs of Mrs Carpenter; a report, in Scots, on International affairs on the Continent and in England, [?1622]; and a fragment of a review, in John Gibson Lockhart’s hand, of Robert Southey’s ‘Life of the Rev. Andrew Bell’, [?1844].

    (v) Sketch surveys of farms in Glenlyon between Fortingall and Bridge of Balgie, chiefly taken in July-September 1794, with letters to John Home, land-surveyor, Glenlyon, some signed Thomas Scott, 1794. The maps and letters are numbered from 24 to 38, save five which bear no number.

    (vi) Manuscript (original or contemporary copy) of Adam Milne, ‘Description of the Parish of Melrose’ (Edinburgh, 1743) (beginning and end missing).