Papers, correspondence, cuttings and photographs of Esther Barbara Chalmers and the extended Chalmers and Lorimer families, including research notes and drafts concerning the histories of the families.
Scope and Contents
This collection, while primarily composed of the letters and papers of Esther Chalmers herself, and reflecting her own life and activities, also reflects those of her family, from her grandparents to her nieces and nephews, and of her friends, both in Britain and abroad. The papers concern mostly her own life and her association with Lucie Dejardin, the Belgian socialist, with papers concerning her kinfolk the Lorimers of Kellie (particularly James Lorimer and J H Lorimer) and her father Sir David Patrick Chalmers.
- Creation: 1786-1983.
Conditions Governing Access
Normal access conditions apply.
Conditions Governing Use
Normal reproduction conditions apply, subject to any copyright restrictions.
336 Consultation units
Language of Materials
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Bequeathed, 1984, by Esther Chalmers, through the good offices of Christopher Fyfe, Edinburgh.
- Chalmers, Esther Barbara (daughter of Sir David Patrick, Chief-Justice of Gold Coast) (Person)
- Lorimer, family, of Kellie (Family)
- Chalmers, Sir David Patrick, Knight, Chief-Justice of Gold Coast, d 1899 (Person)
- Lorimer, James, Professor of Public Law, University of Edinburgh, 1818-1890 (Person)
- Lorimer, John Henry, 1856-1936 (painter) (Person)
- Dejardin, Lucie, socialist, 1875-1945 (Person)
- National Library of Scotland Catalogue of Manuscripts
- National Library of Scotland
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Prepared Using Local Descriptive Rules
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the National Library of Scotland Archives and Manuscripts Division Repository