Charters collected by Sir James Balfour of Denmilne. Edit

Summary

Component Unique Identifier
Adv.MS.15.1.18 (2 of 2)
Level of Description
File

Dates

  • 12th century-1553. (Creation)

Extents

  • 103 Items (Whole)

Subjects

Notes

  • Existence and Location of Copies

    Transcripts of all the charters except number 75, made for Walter Macfarlane of Macfarlane, are in Adv.MS.35.2.4(i), pages 139-184, 326-400.

  • Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

    Numbers 88 and 93 are paper, with impressed seals; the rest are vellum, and no seals have survived.

  • Other Finding Aids

    A full description of the charters with chronological lists is kept with them, and another copy of the same is in the Special Collections Reading Room.

  • Scope and Contents

    The contents are as follows.

    (i) Confirmation by William I of gift by Hugh and William Giffard to the church of St. Andrews of the church of Tealing. Kincardine, 1189x1195. (Hugh de Roxburgh, chancellor; no date). Printed in ‘Regesta regum Scotorum’, volume ii, number 358.

    (ii) Confirmation, [1173-1178], by William I of gift by Walter, son of Philip to the church of St. Andrews of the land of Adhebrecces. Kinghorn, 1173x1178. (D.G.: Richard, Bishop of Dunkeld). Printed in ‘Regesta regum Scotorum’, number 167.

    (iii) Confirmation of William I of gift by Simon de Meigle to the church of St. Andrews of the church of Meigle. Crail, 1178x1185. Hugh, Bishop of St. Andrews; David, brother of the King). Printed in ‘Regesta regum Scotorum’, volume ii, number 201.

    (iv) Mandate of David II to his chamberlain to have paid to the prior and convent of St. Andrews a yearly feu of 1 mark from the burgh of Dundee. Ardross, 3 February 1362. Printed in ‘Regesta Regum Scotorum’, volume 6, ‘The Acts of David II’ (Edinburgh, University Press, 1982), number 262.

    (v) Mandate of Robert, Steward of Scotland, to John Douglas, Keeper of Loch Leven Castle, not to molest the prior and convent of St. Andrews because of their having stood security for a sum of money owed to the garrison of Loch Leven by the community of Fife. Perth, 23 October 1339.

    (vi) Mandate of Robert, Stewart of Scotland, to the provost and Baillies of Perth to pay to the prior and convent of St. Andrews a yearly feu of 1 mark from the burgh of Perth. Perth, 13 December 1355.

    (vii) Letter of Robert I prohibiting anyone from acting against his concession to the prior and convent of St. Andrews to have all their granges free of exactions. Stirling, 23 March 1327.

    (viii) Notification by William Fraser, Bishop of St. Andrews, that William de Ferrers has given to the prior and convent of St. Andrews the church of Leuchars with two acres of land. Inchmorthach, 13 February 1295. See also ‘St Andrews liber’, page 400.

    (ix) Transumpt, [1275-1282], attested by R[obert de Stuteville?], Bishop of Dunkeld, and W[illiam Comyn?], Bishop of Brechin, of: (1) Charter of David I to the churches of Haddington and St. Andrews of the lands of Clerkington, a toft in Haddington, and the tithes of East Lothian. Perth, 15 June 1139x1147. (Gregory, Bishop of Dunkeld; John, Bishop of Glasgow). Printed in ‘Early Scottish charters’ compiled by Archibald C Lawrie: the original is Brit.Mus., Cotton Ch.xviii.12. (2) Charter, 1173x1178, of Richard, Bishop of St. Andrews, to the church of St. Andrews of the church of Haddington with the lands of Clerkington. (John, Abbot of Holyrood). Printed in ‘St Andrews liber’, page 135. (3) Confirmation, 1178 [13 May x], by William I of the charter at (2). (Hugh, Bishop of St. Andrews; Lawrence, Abbot of Melrose). Printed in ‘Regesta Regum Scotorum’, volume ii, number 173.

    (x) Decreet, 1160x1162, of Arnold, Bishop of St. Andrews, that the alter oblation formerly held by seven persons not living in the community should be ceded to the regular canons. (Arnold, Bishop of St. Andrews). Printed in ‘St Andrews liber’, page 129.

    (xi) Charter, circa 1155x1159, of Robert, Bishop of St. Andrews, to the prior and brethren of St. Andrews of all parts of the alter oblation except the bishop’s seventh part. (Osbert, Abbot of Jedburgh; Robert, Bishop of St. Andrews). Printed in ‘St Andrews liber’, page 125.

    (xii) Charter, 1152x1159, of Robert, Bishop of St. Andrews, to the church and canons of St. Andrews of the lands of Kinninmonth with appendages. (William, Abbot of Holyrood; Robert, Bishop of St. Andrews).

    (xiii) Ordinance of William Lamberton, Bishop of St. Andrews that the payment of 16 marks formerly made by the priories of May and Pittenweem to Reading Abbey should now be made to St. Andrews Abbey. St. Andrews, 13 July 1318. Printed in ‘May records’ by J Stuart, page xci.

    (xiv) Charter, 1209x1238, ?x1212, of Willam Malveisin, Bishop of St. Andrews, to Laurence de Thornton, Archdeacon of St. Andrews, and his successors of the church of Tarvit. (Thornton, Archdeacon; Malveisinm, Bishop, -- Edward, chaplain).

    (xv) Obligation of Henry de Wardlaw, Bishop of St. Andrews, to the prior and convent of St. Andrews for payment of 20 pounds form the fruits of the Priory of May. St. Andrews, 27 January 1416. Printed in ‘May records’ by J. Stuart, page xi.

    (xvi) Inspection, 1247x1253, by David de Bernham and Albin, Bishops of St. Andrews and Brechin, and Abel de Gullane, Archdeacon of St. Andrews, of a supplication by the Bishops of St. Andrews, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Dunblane, Brechin, Ross and Caithness to the King, concerning the spoliation of St. Andrews Priory. (Peter, Bishop of Aberdeen; David, Bishop of St. Andrews). Printed in ‘Statutes of the Scottish church’, with introduction and notes by David Patrick, pages 211-212; and in, ‘Statuta ecclesiae Scoticanae’, volume ii, pages 241-242, appendix number 5.

    (xvii) Inhibition of James Ben, Bishop of St. Andrews, from breaking off rocks from the cliff on the north side of St. Andrews Cathedral and thus endangering the foundations, on penalty of 100 shillings and excommunication. Inchmorthach, 1330.

    (xviii) Charter of William Fraser, Bishop of St. Andrews, to the prior and canons of St. Andrews of the vicarages of Forgan and Longforgan to belong to the archdiaconate. St. Andrews, 27 January 1293.

    (xix) Mandate of William Lamberton, Bishop of St. Andrews, to the Dean of Christianity of Fire and Fothrif to take possession of the church of Abercromby, granted by him to the prior and convent of St. Andrews. Torry, 5 February 1320.

    (xx) Charter, 1209x1238, ?x1212, ?x1228 of William Malveisin, Bishop of St. Andrews, to William, son of Lambin of a carucate of Balrimond, to be held of Adam de Kinninmonth, who holds it of the prior and convent of St. Andrews. Written by Gilbet of Stirling. Printed in ‘The early charters of the family of Kinninmonth of that Ilk’ by G W S Barrow, number 12, in ‘The study of Medieval records’ edited by D A Bullough and R L Storey, pages 107- 131.

    (xxi) Charter, circa 1155x1159, of Robert, Bishop of St. Andrews, to Robert, Prior of St. Andrews, and his successors of the priorate of the canons there, and to the brethren there the free election of the prior. See also (xi). Printed in ‘St Andrews liber’, page 126; and in, ‘Analecta Scotica’ by James Maidment, (1st series), page 231.

    (xxii) Charter, 1163x1169, of Richard, Bishop of St. Andrews, to the church and canons of St. Andrews of the chapel of Inchture. (Richard, Bishop of St. Andrews; Gregory, Bishop of Dunkeld. Printed in ‘Analecta Scotica’ by James Maidment, (1st series) (1834), page 232.

    (xxiii) Mandate of William Lamberton, Bishop of St. Andrews, to the Dean of Christianity of Fife and Fothrif to take possession of the church of Dairsie, granted by him to the prior and convent of St. Andrews. Inchmorthach, 12 December 1304.

    (xxiv) Commission of Walter Trail, Bishop of St., Andrews, to six commissioners to collect the revenue of various churches to repair St. Andrews Cathedral. St. Andrews, 31 August 1386.

    (xxv) Remission, 7 October 1457, of James Kennedy, Bishop of St. Andrews (acting for the absent Prior, William Bonar) to the convent of St. Andrews to appoint new members.

    (xxvi) Declaration of Alexander Stewart, Archbishop pf St. Andrews, that he has received from John Hepburn, Prior of St. Andrews, £250 due to him on his promotion to the see. St. Andrews, 19 July 1506. Signed.

    (xxvii) Agreement, 1222, between the prior and convent of St. Andrews and Gillemor Scoloc of Tarland, that the latter, though serf and liege of the former, be allowed to stay with James, son of Morgund, late Earl of Mar. Printed in ‘Aberdeen-Banff illustrations’, volume ii, page 18; and in ‘An Index drawn up about the year 1629 of many records of charters granted by the different sovereigns of Scotland between the years 1309 and 1413’ by William Robertson, page liii.

    (xxviii) Obligation of Alexander de Stirling concerning his chapel of Lauriston and the mother church of St. Cyrus. Ormiston, 5 December 1243. Printed in ‘St Andrews liber’, page 280.

    (xxix) Statement, 1252x1256, of John, Abbot of Dunfermline, concerning a charter of half a mark from the lands of Bogie. (John Abbot), Printed in ‘Dunfermline registrum’ compiled by C Innes, number 601.

    (xxx) Act of Papal Commissioners appointing a day for hearing a case between the prior and convent of St. Andrews and Adam de Makerstoun, Provost of St. Andrews, and the Culdees, canons. Inverkeithing, 7 November 1250.

    (xxxi) Agreement, April 1234, between William Comyn, clerk, and the prior and convent of St. Andrews, by which the former demits to the latter the church of Dull for an annual payment of 68 marks.

    (xxxii) Letters of the chaplain and contradictorum auditor of the Pope, that a bull, Lyon, 21 August 1249, of Pope Innocent IV to the provost and chapter of St. Andrews Cathedral should not prejudice the rights of the prior and convent of St. Andrews. Lyon, 13 September 1249.

    (xxxiii) Statement, 1202x1206, of Papal Judges of the settlement of a dispute between Ranulf de Watt, Archdeacon of St. Andrews, and Hugh, steward, and Jordan, his nephew, concerning land in St. Andrews. (Patrick, Abbot of Dunfermline; Hugh de Mortimer, Prior of May). Printed in ‘The Scottish tradition’ edited by G W S Barrow, page 26.

    (xxxiv) Charter, 1239x1247, of Ralph de Lamley, Bishop of Aberdeen, to Robert de Larunte of the vicarage of Bourtie, at the presentation of the prior and convent of St. Andrews. (Ralph, Bishop). Printed in ‘St Andrews liber’, page 305.

    (xxxv) Renunciation of Michael Gray, Preceptor of the Hospital of St. Antony near Leith, of the church of Kirkliston, granted to the hospital by Eugenius IV. St. Andrews, 18 March 1446. Printed in ‘Historical notices of St. Anthony’s Monastery, Leith…’ by Charles Rogers, page 7.

    (xxxvi) Inquisition, 20 August 1323, of a dispute between the prior and convent of St. Andrews and the vicar of Lathrisk, concerning the chaplaincy of Kettle.

    (xxxvii) Agreement, 1247, between the prior and convent of St. Andrews and Goda, niece of Robert King, concerning land bequeathed to the canons by King.

    (xxxviii) Agreement, 16 October 1268, with the consent of Richard de Potton, Bishop of Aberdeen, between the prior and convent o St. Andrews and Thomas Lundin, Vicar of Bourtie, concerning the land of the church of Bourtie. Printed in ‘Collections for a history of the shires of Aberdeen and Banff’ edited by Joseph Robertson, page 568.

    (xxxix) Mandate of William de Landallis, Bishop of St. Andrews, to Robert Bell, Vicar of Crail, to induct William de Dalgarnock to the parish church of Ceres, which he has annexed to the provostry of St. Mary in St. Andrews. Inchmorthach, 25 January 1376.

    (xl) Charter, 1202x1203, of David, Earl of Huntingdon, that he has founded an abbey at Lindores and granted it the churches of Lindores, Dundee, Fintray, Inverurie, Durno, Premnay, Rathmuriel, Insch, Culsalmond, and Kennethmont. (Ralph, Bishop of Brechin; Osbert, Abbot of Kelso). Printed in ‘Lindores chartulary’, number III; in ‘Earl David of Huntingdon’ by K J Stringer; and in ‘Analecta Scotica’ by James Maidment, (1st series), page 338.

    (xli) Confirmation, 1182x1197, of Saher de Quency of gift by his mother to the church of St. Andrews of Dauac, Icthar, and Hathyn (gift; Robert de Quency). Printed in ‘St Andrews liber’, page 291.

    (xlii) Confirmation, 1209x1238, of Hugh de Mortimer of gift of William, his grandfather, to the church of St. Andrews of the chapel of Fowlis-Easter with pertinents. (Laurence de Thornton, Archdeacon of St. Andrews; William Malveisin, Bishop of St. Andrews. Printed in ‘St Andrews liber’, page 265.

    (xliii) Obligation of Hugh de Fothringham to the prior and convent of St. Andrews concerning the warrandice of houses in the Isle of Perth sold to them. St. Andrews, 19 September 1289.

    (xliv) Charter, 12th century, of Adam de Lour to the Church of St. Andrews of 3 acres in Lour. Printed in ‘St Andrews liber’, page 342; and in, ‘Analecta Scotica’ by James Maidment, (1st series), page 235.

    (xlv) Charter, 12 May 1283, of John de Inchyra to the church of St. Andrews of the fishery of Brekeles.

    (xlvi) Charter, 12th-13th century, of Henry and Margaret Revel to the church of St. Andrews of land near Coultra. Printed in ‘St Andrews liber’, page 271.

    (xlvii) Resignation, 1202x1207, of Walter de Roxburgh, younger, to Ranulf de Watt, Archdeacon of St. Andrews, and his successors of the lands of Scone, Balekathelin, and in the south of St. Andrews. (Ralph, Bishop of Brechin, Henry, Abbot of Arbroath). Printed in ‘The Scottish tradition’ edited by G W S Barrow, page 28.

    (xlviii) Resignation of David Taylor, burgess of Berwick, to the prior of St. Andrews of a tenement in Berwick. Berwick, 6 July 1292.

    (xlix) On recto: Resignation, August 1245, of William de Brechin to the abbey of Lindores of the lands of the church of Rathmuriel. Printed in ‘Chartulary of the Abbey of Lindores’ number LV. On verso: Document (incomplete and defaced), 1 August 1259 (less probably 1269), concerning a dispute between Richard de Potton, Bishop of Aberdeen and Thomas, Abbot of Lindores. Printed in ‘Aberdeen Registrum’, volume I, page 26.

    (l) Indenture, 29 April 1497, between John Hepburn, Prior of St. Andrews, and the burgh of Linlithgow, concerning the building and maintaining of the choir of Linlithgow parish church.

    (li) Indenture between Henry de Wardlaw, Bishop of St. Andrews, the prior and chapter of St. Andrews Cathedral, and John de Hailes, Abbot of Balmerino, concerning the chapel of St. Ayles in Balmerino. St. Andrews, 8 April 1435.

    (lii) Convention, November 1286, between the prior and convent of St. Andrews and Constantine de Lochore, tutor of John de Blair, concerning the mill of Nydie. Printed in ‘The Scottish tradition’ edited by G W S Barrow, page 41.

    (liii) Retour, 7 November 1454, of William Monypenny in the lands of Pitmilly, held of the prior and convent of St. Andrews.

    (liv) Letters of the chaplain and contradictorum auditor of the Pope that a bull, 29 June 1262, of Urban IV to the Bishop of St. Andrews concerning the taxation of parish churches, should not prejudice the rights of the prior and convent of St. Andrews. Orvieto, 2 November 1262.

    (lv) Confirmation, 13th century, of Margaret de Lascelles of gift of Adam de Lascelles, her father, to the church of St. Andrews of the church of Forgan with the chapel of Naughton. Printed in ‘St Andrews liber’, page 109 (dated October 1266).

    (lvi) Gift, 8 November 1402, of Isabelle do Douglas, Lady of Mar and Garioch, to the abbey of Lindores of the patronage of the church of Coldstone. Printed in ‘Lindores liber’, Appendix number X; and in, ‘Aberdeen-Banff illustrations’, volume ii, page 9.

    (lvii) Charter, 1328x1346, by Duncan, Earl of Fife, to Sir Robert de Lauder of the land of Balmacoychely, Logiebride and Blabolg. (Adam, Bishop of Brechin; Duncan, prisoner in England). Printed in ‘Analecta Scotica’ by James Maidment, (1st series), page 236.

    (lviii) Gift, 1 September 1316, of Duncan, Earl of Fife, to the church of St. Andrews of the patronage of the church of Kilgour.

    (lix) Notarial copy of retour, 26 May 1551, of Beatrice Douglas as one of three heirs of her father, James, Earl of Morton.

    (lx) Confirmation, 1189x1192, or possibly 1202, of Henry, Earl of Atholl, of gift of Malcolm, Earl of Atholl, to the church of St. Andrews of the church of Dull. (Bishop elect of St. Andrews). Printed in ‘St Andrews liber’, page 246.

    (lxi) Charter, 13th century, of Richerda de Berkeley to Roger Wyrfauter of the land in Conveth which belonged to Hugh, son of Waldeve. Printed in ‘St Andrews liber’, page 285.

    (lxii) Charter, 1153x1178, of Agnes, Countess of Mar, to the church of St. Andrews of the church of Migvie. (Ada, Countess of Northumberland). Printed in ‘St Andrews liber’, page 249; and in, ‘Aberdeen-Banff illustrations’, volume ii, page 19.

    (lxiii) Agreement, 12 May 128-, between Ralph de Greenlaw, Abbot of Dunfermline, and Sir Michael Scot of Balwearie, concerning the mill of Kirkcaldy. Printed in ‘Dunfermline registrum’, numbers 298-603; and in, ‘Analecta Scotica’ by James Maidment, (1st series), page 235.

    (lxiv) Certificate, 22 August 1472, of George, Lord Haliburton, that he has given sasine of the lands of Kingston to Gilbert of Duns of the registration of his father, John of Duns. Signed.

    (lxv) Charter, circa 1210x1244, of Marjory, Countess of Buchan to the church of St. Andrews of the church of Kennoway. (Marjory, Countess). Printed in ‘St. Andrews liber’ page 253.

    (lxvi) Confirmation, 1207x1228, of Malcolm, son of Morgund, Earl of Mar, of gift of his father to the church of St. Andrews of the church of Tarland. (Adam, Bishop of Aberdeen). Printed in ‘Aberdeen-Banff illustrations’ volume ii, page 17.

    (lxvii) Confirmation, 1172x1204, of Malcolm, son of Duncan, Earl of Fife, of gift of his father to the prior and convent of St. Andrews of the churches of Cupar, Markinch, and Scone, and the chapel of Kettle. (gift: Duncan). Printed in ‘St. Andrews liber’ page 244.

    (lxviii) Charter, 1242x1258, of William, Earl of Mar, to Sir Gilbert de Hay of the lands of Drumlaw. (William, Earl of Mar, and Alexander, Earl of Buchan; Walter, Earl of Menteith.

    (lxix) Precept , 4 February 1517, of sasine of William, Earl of Erroll, in favour of Charles Ramsay in the lands of Petpointly. Signed.

    (lxx) Charter, 1154x1204, of Duncan, Earl of Fife, to the church of St. Andrews of the chapel of Kettle. (Duncan). ‘St. Andrews liber’, page 243.

    (lxxi) Confirmation, 1165x1169, of Richard, Bishop of St. Andrews, to the church of Dunfermline of all its churches, possessions, and benefices, namely, the churches of Perth, Baleglinen, Stirling, Killin, Abercromby, Newburn, Kinglassie, Inveresk, Woolmet, Hailes, Newton, West Calder, with chapels, etc., and the schools of Perth and Stirling. (Andrew, Archdeacon of Lothian; Gregory, Bishop of Dunkeld). Printed in ‘Dunfermline registrum’, number 94-596.

    (lxxii) Charter of William Lamberton, Bishop of St. Andrews, to the abbot and monks of Dunfermline of the church of Kinross and the chapel of Orwell. Dunfermline, 9 December 1317. Printed in ‘Dunfermline registrum’, number 604.

    (lxxiii) Instrument, 29 October 1488, of protest of David, Duke of Montrose, at his office of Sheriff of Forfar being given by James IV to Andrew, Lord Gray.

    (lxxiv) Charter, 10 August 1381, of Anabella de Liddell, daughter of Peter Kennedy, burgess of Aberdeen, to the Friars Preachers in Aberdeen of land in the Nether Kirkgate, Aberdeen.

    (lxxv) Charter, 14 November 1369, of John de Dunbar, burgess of Aberdeen, to his brother Willian de Dunbar, burgess of Aberdeen, of a perch of land in Aberdeen.

    (lxxvi) Precept, May 1490, of sasine of Elizabeth Garioch, Lady of Tuligonis, in favour of John Penny, Prior of the Friars Preachers in Aberdeen, of an annualrent from the lands of Tuligonis.

    (lxxvii) Concession of John, Master of the Friars Preachers, to the vicar-general of the order of Scotland, of their immunities and of other matters. Avignon, 30 August 1349.

    (lxxviii) Instrument, 21 October 1491, that Alexander Symson has been served heir to his father David.

    (lxxix) Precept, 14 March 1358, of William de Landallis, Bishop of St. Andrews, to the Perpetual Vicar of Perth and Dean of Christianity of Gowrie to induct the Abbott of Scone to the church of Blair.

    (lxxx) Charter, 18 August 1450, of Andrew de Tuliedaff of Tuliedaff to Elizabeth de Tulloch, widow of Thomas Kennedy, Constable of Aberdeen, of an annualrent from land in the Gastraw, Aberdeen.

    (lxxxi) Confirmation, 1170x1172, of Richard, Bishop of Dunkeld, of gift of Malcolm IV and Andrew, Bishop of Caithness, to the abbot and monks of Dunfermline of the church of Holy Trinity, Dunkeld. (Richard, Bishop of Dunkeld; Matthew, Archdeacon of St. Andrews). Printed in ‘Dunfermline registrum’ number 125-598; and in, ‘Analecta Scotica’ by James Maidment, (1st series), page 233.

    (lxxxii) Confirmation, 1152x1159, of Robert, Bishop of St. Andrews, of all previous gift to the church of Dunfermline, in particular of the churches of Perth, Stirling, Newburn, Kinglassie, Kirkcaldy, Inveresk, Woolmet, and Hailes, the chapels of Inverkeithing and Cousland, and the schools of Perth and Stirling. (William, Abbot of Holyrood; Robert, Prior of St. Andrews).

    (lxxxiii) Charter, 20 October 1400, of Sir William Ruthven of Ruthven to his brother David of the lands of Lamorehall and Forteviot, held of the church of St. Andrews.

    (lxxxiv) Charter, 19 December 1271, of Adam Glay, burgess of Aberdeen, to the Friars Preachers in Aberdeen of Madercroft in Aberdeen.

    (lxxxv) Charter, 13th century, of henry de Winton to the church of St. Andrews of land in Lindores. Printed in ‘St. Andrews Liber’, page 273.

    (lxxxvi) Charter of Malise de Garvock to Andrew Marr of land in the Gallowgate, Aberdeen. Aberdeen, 20 October 1403.

    (lxxxvii) Attestation, 9 July 1468, of John Anderson, bailie of Inverurie, that sasine has been given to Mariota Cantlie of an annualrent from land in Inverurie.

    (lxxxviii) Attestation, 3 April 1483, of Patrick Well, Baillie of Perth, of the arrest of goods claimed to belong to the convent before the magistrates of Perth. Paper; impressed seal.

    (lxxxix) Instrument, 29 April 1502, of protest of John Adamson, Prior of the Friars Preachers in Aberdeen, against Sir John Rutherford.

    (xc) Instrument, 21 August 1443, concerning the teind-sheaves of St. Andrews Cathedral and the functioning of David Ramsay as chamberlain.

    (xci) Indenture, 7 November 1413, between the prior of the Friars Preachers of Aberdeen and Mariota de Marr, concerning the gift by the latter to the former of land in the Gastraw, Aberdeen.

    (xcii) Instrument, 20 January 1503, of agreement between the Friars Preachers in Aberdeen and Sir John Rutherford, burgess of Aberdeen.

    (xciii) Citation, 15 March 1549/1550, of James Stewart, Commendator of St. Andrews, John Mynram, Professor of Theology and Sub-Prior, and David Guthrie, Third Prior, to John Rule, Prior of Pittenweem, to appear before them. Paper; impressed seal. Printed in ‘May records’ edited by J Stuart, page xci.

    (xciv) Confirmation of Pope Innocent IV of gift of Malcolm, Earl of Atholl, to the prior and convent of St. Andrews of the patronage of the church of Dull. Lyon, 12 July 1246. Printed in ‘St. Andrews liber’, page 95.

    (xcv) Instrument of protest, 1431, by the canons of St. Andrews that the burgesses of Cupar had built a new church without their consent.

    (xcvi) Notarial copy of grant of Pope Leo X to visitors to the houses of Friars Preachers in Scotland of the same indulgence as theywould obtain by visiting Rome. Rome, 5 June 1518. Printed in ‘Essays on the Scottish Reformation’ edited by David MacRoberts, plate xiii.

    (xcvii) Procuratory of resignation, 5 February 1502, of William Gray to the prior of St. Andrews of a tenement in King Street, Linlithgow, in favour of Thomas Davy.

    (xcviii) Instrument of confession, 17 May 1466, of Thomas Luthirdale, Official of St. Andrews, of an error concerning the tithes of the church of Linlithgow.

    (xcix) Retour, 17 May 1482, of Andrew Kinninmonth in the lands of Kinninmonth, Landeddybaldony, and Nether and Over Magask, held of the prior of St. Andrews.

    (c) Agreement, 12th century, between the convent of St. Andrews and William Giffard, concerning the lands of Petpuntin, the church of Tealing, and other matters. Printed in ‘St. Andrews liber’, page 325.

    (ci) Notarial extract of the Baillie court book of Aberdeen, 12 May 1553, concerning the rent of a tenement in the Nether Kirkgate, Aberdeen, due by Patrick Gray to the Friars Preachers in Aberdeen.

    (cii) Instrument of submission, 3 December 1448, to arbitration by the prior of St. Andrews and John Kinninmonth of Kinninmonth, concerning the boundaries of Greigston, Baldinnie, and Arnydy.

    (ciii) Charter, 19 November 1445, of George Lauder, Bishop of Argyll, to the prior and convent of St. Andrews, allowing them to quarry the hill of Cragmore.

    Folio 75. Copy, 17th century, of charter, 1200x1234, of Alan, Lord Galloway, to Alan de Ross of the lands of Ferneslie. (Alan).

    Folio 76. (1) Copy, 17th century, of charter, circa 1145x1153, of David I to Walter de Riddell of Whittune, and others. Scone. (Andrew, Bishop of Caithness; David I). Printed in ‘Early Scottish charters’ by Archibald C Lawrie, number 220. (2) Copies, 17th century, of confirmations, 1357-1371, of Robert, Steward of Scotland and Earl of Strathearn, of (i) charter of Walter Comyn of Rowallan to Richard Boyle of Kelburne of an annualrent from the lands of Malderland, and (ii) charter of Gilchrist More to his daughter Avicia of land in Rowallan. (Robert). Originals in charters of the Earl of Glasgow. Not indexed in detail.

    Folio 77. (1) Copy, 1705, of Thomas Ruddiman of charter, 1179x1196, of Alan son of Walter, Steward of Scotland, to the church and abbey of Paisley of the churches of Innerwick, Legerwick, Cathcart, Strathgryfe, and Paisley, and other lands. (Herbert, Dean of Glasgow; Simon, Archdeacon of Glasgow). Printed in ‘Paisley registrum’, page 11. (2) Copy, 1708, of Thomas Ruddimen of mandate, 27 June 1491, of Pope Innocent VIII to the abbots of Paisley and Jedburgh and the chancellor of Glasgow to absolve and restore to communion the opponents of James III.

    Folio 78. (1) Copy, 1710, of Thomas Ruddiman of obligation, 11 January 1455, by the burgh of Edinburgh to William Preston of Gorton to build an aisle, erect a brass, and other matters, in St Giles in memory of his father, who presented the arm-bone of St Giles to the church. Printed in ‘Edinburgh City charters’, page 79. (2) Copy, 1710, of Thomas Ruddiman of charter, 1332x1373, of Thomas, Earl of Mar, to Adam and Margaret de Strachan of parts of Glenkenety and Glenboul. (Thomas). Printed in ‘Collections for a history of the shires of Aberdeen and Banff’ edited by Joseph Robertson, page 618. (3) Copy, 18th century, of beginning of confirmation, 5 Mar 1389, of Euphemia, Countess of Strathearn, of gifts of Malcolm de Drummond to Sir David de Murray of the lands of Camsyny and Bernaglis. Original in charters of the Duke of Atholl (Historical Manuscripts Commission, 7th Report, Appendix, pages 705-706).

  • Bibliography

    Many of the charters are calendared in ‘History of St. Andrews’ by C J Lyon (Edinburgh, 1843), volume ii, pages 305-313, and some in ‘Aberdeen Friars’ by P J Anderson (Aberdeen, His Majesty's printers, 1909).

    ‘Aberdeen-Banff illustrations’ (Spalding Club, 1847-1869); ‘Aberdeen Registrum’ (Spalding and Maitland Clubs, 1845); Barrow, G W S. ‘Early charters of the family of Kinninmonth of that Ilk’, number 12, in Lawrie, Archibald C. ‘Early Scottish charters’ (Glasgow, 1905); ‘Collections for a history of the shires of Aberdeen and Banff’ edited by Joseph Robertson (Spalding Club, 1843); ‘Early Scottish charters’ compiled by Archibald C Lawrie (1905); ‘Edinburgh City charters’; ‘Essays on the Scottish Reformation’ edited by David MacRoberts (Burns, 1962); ‘Lindores liber’ edited by W B B D Turnbull (Abbotsford Club, 1841); Maidment, James. ‘Analecta Scotica’ (1st series) (1834); ‘May records’ edited by J. Stuart (Edinburgh, 1868); ‘Paisley registrum’; ‘Regesta regum Scotorum’ (Edinburgh, University Press); Robertson, William. ‘An Index drawn up about the year 1629 of many records of charters granted by the different sovereigns of Scotland between the years 1309 and 1413’ (Edinburgh, 1793); Rogers, Charles. ‘Historical notices of St. Anthony’s Monastery, Leith…’ (Grampian Club, 1877); ‘The Scottish tradition’ edited by G W S Barrow (Edinburgh, 1874); ‘St Andrews liber’ (Edinburgh, 1841); ‘Statutes of the Scottish church’, with introduction and notes by David Patrick (Edinburgh, 1907); Stringer , K J. ‘Earl David of Huntingdon’ (Edinburgh, 1985); ‘The study of medieval records’ edited by D A Bullough and R L Storey (Oxford, 1971).

Components